Introducing Incheon Metropolitan City Museum
Incheon Metropolitan City Museum is the first ever public museum in Korea opened in April 1946. Our museum was established as a venue for the people of Incheon which aims to survey and research Incheon’s local history and cultural artifacts and to share its findings with the people of Incheon. The Incheon Metropolitan City Museum has served its role as a place for rest and education for Incheon citizens when they were suffering from the confusion after our country won its independence and fell into the Korean War. In 1990, our museum was relocated to its current location near Cheongnyangsan Mountain overlooking the Yellow Sea. Our Museum strives to bridge the distance with Incheon citizens with an even more diverse range of exhibitions and education programs directed to domestic and foreign citizens who visit Incheon Metropolitan City.
- April 1, 1946
Museum established in 1-1 Songhakdong, Jung-gu, Incheon-si. Inaugural Director Lee Kyung-seong appointed.
- June 25, 1950
Outbreak of the Korean War, collections dispersed.
- September 15, 1950
Museum building lost due to artillery bombing during the Battle of Incheon.
- April 1, 1953
Reopened at 11-1 Songhak-dong, Jung-gu, Incheon-si.
- December 17, 1965 ~ May 7, 1966
Excavations (in cooperation with the National Museum of Korea) conducted at the Nokcheongja Kiln Site in Gyeongseo-dong, Seo-gu, Incheon-si.
- May 4, 1990
Relocated to a new building in 525 Ongnyeon-dong, Nam-gu, Incheon Directly Controlled Municipal City.
- January 1, 1995
Renamed as the Incheon Metropolitan City Museum.
- July 10, 2006
Reopened after remodelling work was completed.
- January 28, 2008
Songam Art Museum and Geomdan Prehistory Museum annex incorporated.
- February 27, 2012
The Museum of Korea Emigration History annex incorporated.
- December 22, 2014
Compact&Smart City department established.
- Opening hours: 9:00am ~ 6:00pm (last entry at 5:30pm)
- Holidays: every Monday (except for national public holidays), New Year’s Day
- Admission fees: Free
- Operating hours for artifact commentaries: 10:00am ~ 5:00pm / except lunch time (1:00pm ~ 2:00pm)
- How to apply for artifact commentaries: apply at the information desk of the 1st floor (☎032-440-6750)
Group tours must book in advance
- Take local bus no. 16, 65-1, 523, get off at Chukhyeon Elementary School and walk 5 minutes.
- Take local bus no. 8, 9, get off at Songdo Recreation Area and walk 10 minutes.
- Take Incheon International Airport bus no. 111-2, get off at Songdo Recreation Area and walk 10 minutes.