Social insurance is an insurance scheme that insures citizens against social dangers. A typical example would be the Industrial Accident Insurance (mandatory purchase) for occupational accidents, the Health Insurance (mandatory purchase) for illnesses and injuries, the Employment Insurance (mandatory purchase) for unemployment and the National Pension (reciprocity policy) for disability, death and old age etc. These 4 major types of insurance are known as the 4 Major Social Insurances. Foreign workers may also receive various benefits through the purchase of social insurance.
- Insurance fees are deducted in full when wages are received from employer.
- Purchase-related inquiries may be made through the websites and call centers of the relevant institutions.
National Health Insurance ☎ 1577-1000
- National Health Insurance Service website : http://www.nhis.or.kr (Available in Japanese, Chinese and Vietnamese)
Industrial Accident Compensation Insurance ☎ 1588-0075
- Korea's Workers Compensation & Welfare Service website: http://www.kcomwel.or.kr(Available in English)
Employment Insurance ☎ 032-460-4701
- Job Welfare Plus Center website : http://www.workplus.go.kr/jobcenter
National Pension ☎ 1355
National Pension Service website:
(Available in English, Chinese, Indonesian, Thai and Mongolian)