Domestic Residence Report for Overseas Korean

What is the Definition of an Overseas Korean?

Those who meet certain requirements among "Korean nationals residing abroad" and "Koreans with foreign nationality." Not applicable to Koreans who are staying abroad temporarily.

Domestic Residence Report for Overseas Korean For Overseas Koreans

who wish to stay in Korea for more than 90 days and want to attain F-4 visa status. The applicant must prove that he or she either once possessed Korean nationality or have parents or grandparents who have once possessed Korean nationality.

Domestic Residence Report for Overseas Korean
Reporting Method and Required Documents

Documentsmust be prepared and application must be made in person at the local immigration office.

  • As the documents required differ from case to case, a visit to the local immigration office is recommended for more detailed advice on eligibility and procedures etc.
Report of Change in Residence for Overseas Koreans
  • ‌Any change in residence should be reported to the city, county or ward office or the local immigration office which has jurisdiction over the new address within 14 days of its occurrence
  • ‌It may also be reported via 'Hi Korea website ('
  • ‌‌Violation of the above will result in a penalty fine imposed according to Article 6 of the Overseas Korean Act
Reporting Method and Required Documents
  • Passport and Overseas Korean domestic residence report card
  • Domestic residence change report
  • Documents to prove change in residence (mail, lease contract, proof of provided residency form etc.)
Return of Overseas Korean Residence Report Card

Where an overseas Korean does not require the domestic residence report card for any of the reasons presented below, he or she shall return his/her own card to an immigration office or branch:

  • ‌When the overseas Korean acquires Korean nationality
  • ‌When the overseas Korean loses qualification to stay as an overseas Korean
  • When the overseas Korean departs without an intent to reenter to Korea during the period of stay granted according to his or her overseas Korean status
    • Failure to return the domestic residence report card within 14 days from the occurrence of any of the above mentioned reasons may result in a penalty fine.

Resident Registration for Korean Nationals Residing Abroad

  • ‌"Korean nationals residing abroad" are given a resident registration certificate as they have attained permanent residency status (including those who stayed in a foreign country with the aim of attaining permanent residency status) or moved abroad to a foreign country
  • After the effective period of the certificate of domestic residence of a Korean national residing abroad (Ministry of Justice) is expired (July 1, 2016), the resident registration certificate of Korean nationals residing abroad shall be used.
  • ‌When a Korean national residing abroad enters Korea with the aim to stay for 30 days or longer, he or she shall report to the office of the eup/myeon/dong administrative district which has jurisdiction over the applicant's address.
    • Required documents: an attested copy of registration of a Korean national residing abroad or a copy of passport, 1 photo for issuance of a resident registration certificate (3×4㎝, 3.5×4.5㎝)
  • Once the resident registration of a Korean national residing abroad, the number of domestic residence report shall be replaced with the resident registration number.
    • Private Sector: If documents are required by organizations such as bank, insurance company, telecommunication company, credit card company, etc., the applicant shall report for himself/herself.
    • Public Sector: The applicant shall report for his/her car registration document (city, county, district), business registration certificate (tax office), etc.
Source: "Be an Incheoner" - Guidebook for Foreign Residents in Incheon